Left a widow with seven children in 1925, Sallie Goodman purchased the space for Highland Park Cafeteria at 3311 Knox Street which consisted of a counter with 13 stools and 8 tables.  Over the years, “The HPC” increased in popularity, counting many celebrities and Dallas elite among its thousands of daily customers. It expanded to several locations in the Dallas area. In 1981 it was named in a review by the New York Times, “America’s Cafeteria”.